What is Rhabdo?
A rare, but serious, health condition. The breakdown of muscle tissue that leads to the release of muscle fibers into the bloodstream. These substances are harmful to the kidneys and often cause kidney damage.
What can cause Rhabdo?
May be caused by injury or any other condition that damages skeletal muscle. Here are some possible causes:
– trauma or crush injuries
– drug use
– genetic muscle diseases
– extremes of body temperature
– death of muscle tissue
– low phosphate levels
– seizures or muscle tremors
– severe exertion
– lengthy surgical procedures
– severe dehydration
What are the symptoms of Rhabdo?
– dark, red or cola-colored urine
– muscle pain
– muscle stiffness
– extreme weakness
How do I prevent Rhabdo?
– Gradually build up volume and intensity (even if you are an experienced Crossfitter who has taken a few weeks off of traininig)
– Listen to your coach (scaling options)
– Hydrate before, during and after workouts
What should I do if I have symptoms?
Get yourself to the ER.
Information from The National Institute of Health and The CrossFit Journal.