June Member Spotlight

Juan13164206_10103590498933319_223062861087632514_n

June Member Spotlights

Lara Chase:

Tell us about you and your family.

I’m a mom of two (Brody and Bryn) and married to my active duty Army husband Matt.  I work as a part-time Physical Therapist, Army Reserve Officer, and Rodan + Fields Consultant.  We have lived in Southern Pines just about a year now.  Sigh…we move all the time thanks to the Army life.

How long have you been doing CrossFit and what got you started?

I have been doing CF since 2013 religiously and dabbled for a few years prior to 2013.  I’m a self proclaimed retired runner turned dumbbell weight lifter turned Crossfitter.  My husband tried to persuade me into CF for two years and shoved me out the door in 2013 to get my L1 CF cert which I reluctantly did.  I joined my first CF gym in the summer of 2013 and never left.  I was mentored at Crossfit New Windsor as a coach and began coaching.  And that’s that, I’ll never do anything other than CF again.  🙂

What is your favorite CrossFit movement?

Kipping HSPU’s and Thrusters

What is your biggest CrossFit accomplishment?

Double unders and getting a ring MU!

What is your favorite thing about CrossFit 611?

All the people.  CF611 is like a family.  I tell people all the time 85% of the reason I’m a member of a gym is for the people and the other 15% is b/c I like to workout.  I can workout on my own, but that’s not what keeps me coming back.  The camaraderie and the friendships push me to be a better person in and out of the gym.

Juan Almanzar:

Tell us about you and your family.

So just to validate the stereotypes, I am from Mexican decent and I have a huge family. I have no kids and I’m not married but considering I’m the oldest of 3(all boys) I feel like I’ve had kids all my life. My parents and brothers live back in California., which I know it doesn’t sound like a big family yet, but my grandpa had 11 brothers and sisters and my grandma had 11 brothers and sisters. Needless to say, I have  a lot relatives, and the amazing part is that although we all live so far apart, we are all still very close and every year when we have our family reunion it turns into a huge party.

How long have you been doing CrossFit and what got you started?

I’ve been doing Crossfit for a year and 3 months. When I started, I was a recent graduate and let’s just say the four years there were not kind to me. You always hear about the freshman 15, but they forget to tell you about the sophomore, junior, and senior 15.  I had tried regular gyms before but I didn’t know how to build a workout routine or how to use the equipment. I always felt like it was a waste of time. So when I graduated I decided to make a commitment to my Health and find something that worked for me. It took a while but I found Crossfit and I can say walking through that first gym was one of the best decisions of my life. Since then I’ve dropped 50lbs and I’m the strongest I’ve ever been, and I can’t wait to see what’s to come in the future with Crossfit 611.

What is your favorite CrossFit movement?

I have to say that my favorite movement by far in Crossfit is rowing. Being as tall as I am, my pulls are insane and I just feel in my element while rowing. It’s one of the very few things in Crossfit where tall people have an advantage. My favorite Olympic lifting movement is the clean and jerk. I’ve gotten over my fear of having heavy things over my head and it’s just an amazing feeling to complete each lift.

What is your biggest CrossFit accomplishment?

As far as my biggest accomplishment in Crossfit, I would definitely have to say it was a marathon row. It was a little over 42,000 meters and I finished in 3 hours 9 mins and 10 secs . Although it was one of my biggest accomplishments, I’m not sure that I would ever do it again. I was sore in places I didn’t know were possible. My biggest accomplishment in Olympic lifting happened just a few weeks ago. In the 4-5 months I’ve been working on lifts, my snatch has gone from a 135 to a 175. I recently learned what it feels like to engage everything and expect the weight and to have patience while recovering . Even at a PR weight it all felt like it was in its place.

What is your favorite thing about CrossFit 611?

It’s difficult to pin point my favorite thing about CrossFit 611. There are so many great things, but if I had to choose , I would say it’s the community we have built. With my family being so far away and all the hours I put into work, the team at CrossFit 611 is like a secondary family to me. It’s where I go to destress, let out my frustrations, socialize, and improve . I know that as soon as I walk through the doors, I can leave everything else outside and I’m going to get things done. The best part about it is I know when it comes down to it, every one there is pushing me to get that last rep in , or finish just a little faster, or lift that 1 extra lb.